Dialup Networking Error #5 - Error: 718 from the October 2001
by John Kontopos
Error 718: PPP - Timeout
A PPP (connection) negotiation was started,
but terminated because the remote computer did not respond within an appropriate time.
- Poor phone line quality
- A problem with the server at the ISP
- The wrong username and or password was entered.
- The wrong phone number was dialled by the connection..
- The server type settings maybe incorrect on the computer.
- The modem may need initialisation string to stabilise its
- If you are using extension cords or faxes or any other
similar device, disconnect them and try again
- Find out if Actrix is experiencing any server problems
- Make sure the correct username and or password have been
- Verify that the correct access number is being used, ie.
- Make sure the server types in dial up networking is set to
PPP, and TCP/IP box is ticked.
- Use a initialisation string such as +ms=v90 for smoother
Does this all sound a little complicated? Call the Actrix
helpdesk for assistance (0800-228749).